Elysiana

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The forum for the Elysiana goverment.

Rule of Procedure

Caleth
    Caleth
    Admin

Rule of Procedure  Empty Rule of Procedure

Post by Caleth Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:42 pm

Rules of Procedure for the Assembly of Elysiana

The following documents how the Assembly of Elysiana is to be run.  These guidelines will be used as a handbook by the Optus

[1] Title

(a) This document will be officially titled the "Rules of Procedure for the Assembly of Elysiana" or "Rules of Procedure".

[2] The Life of a Proposal

[2.1] Proposals

(a) Elysians may post a proposal to The Assembly Chamber on the forums.
     i. Proposals may be for law, amendments, resolutions, or repeals.
     ii. A proposal for law may also make amendments or repeal existing law.
    (b) The Optus will move a proposal to debate by creating a thread within #the-assembly-of-elysiana channel on the Discord server.
    (c) Seven (7) days after submitting a proposal, the author may make a Motion to Debate.  The Optus must start a vote on the motion within twenty-four (24) hours.
     i. If the motion succeeds, a debate thread must be created within twenty-four (24) hours.
     ii. If the motion fails, a new Motion to Debate cannot be made for another seven (7) days.
    (d) Optus may make a Motion to Dismiss a proposal.  The Optus must then begin a vote on the motion.  
     i. If the motion fails, the debate thread must be opened within twenty-four (24) hours.

[2.2] Debate

(a) Official debate will take place within the Discord debate thread for that proposal.
    (b) Notice of debate must be made on the RMB by the Optus.
    (c) The Optus must post options made on the RMB in the debate thread.
    (d) Debate must be open for a minimum of forty-eight (48) hours
    (e) Changes to the proposal will be made by the proposal author.
     i. The Optus can take over a proposal from the author by creating a new thread.  The original thread must be archived when this is done.
    (f) After forty-eight (48) hours any Elysian can make a Motion to Vote.  A Motion to Vote requires two (2) supporters.
     i. The Optus must begin voting within twenty-four (24) hours of Motion to Vote receiving two (2) supporters.
     ii. Before the Optus has begun the vote, support may be withdrawn, preventing the vote from occurring until support is re-established.

[2.3] Voting

(a) Voting on motions will be done on Discord using the Easypoll bot.
    (b) Voting on proposals will be done by regional poll.
    (c) Voting will be open for exactly forty-eight (48) hours for proposals and twenty-four (24) hours for motions.
    (d) The form of the poll shall be the following:
     i. The question is the be "How do you vote on the proposal?"
     ii. The description should be a brief summery of what the proposal will do if passed, and a link to the proposal on the forums.
     iii. The answers shall be "For" and "Against".
    (e) Proposals will become law after receiving a majority vote in favour.
    (f) Proposals that do not pass can be returned to debate or discarded at the discretion of the Optus.
     i. Discarded proposals can be resubmitted as normal.

[3] Foreign Affairs

(a) Only the Optus or Quartermaster can submit proposals to begin negotiations to the #the-assembly-of-elysiana channel.
     i. Proposals must include the name of the region, and goals of the negotiation.
    (b) Negotiated treaties will be posted The Assembly Chamber on the forums.
     i. The Optus must move the treaty to debate within forty-eight (48) hours.
     ii. Once at debate, proposed treaties will be treated as any other proposal.

[4] Administration

[4.1] The Forums

(a) Replies to the threads are to be limited to recording changes made to a proposal.
     i. In the event debate or comment is being made on the forum thread, the Optus may reply to direct debate to Discord.
    (b) Proposals which have been dismissed or passed are to be archived on the forums.

[4.2] Discord

(a) The Optus may pin messages within #the-assembly-of-elysiana channel and its threads at their discretion.
     i. This clause does not prevent law from restricting when pinning of comments is appropriate.
    (b) Proposals which have been dismissed or passed are to have their discord thread locked and closed.
    (c) The #the-assembly-of-elysiana channel may be used for:
     i. Informing the Optus of new proposals,
     ii. Making Motions to Debate,
     iii. Voting on motions, and
     iv. General discussion about the assembly and proposals.

[4.3] The Bracus

(a) The Optus may name a Bracus by posting the name of the individual appointed in the #the-assembly-of-elysiana channel and pinning it.
    (b) When a Bracus is appointed, they assume the role of Optus in this document,
    This does not include submitting proposals for:
     i. Beginning negotiations, or
     ii. Negotiated treaties.

[4.4] Absences

(a) If the Optus is to be away and they do not have a Bracus, they must designate a Bracus Pro Tempore who will serve until their return.
    (b) If the Bracus is away, their powers will be assumed by the Optus until their return.  
     i. The Optus may designate a Bracus Pro Tempore for the duration of the Bracus' absence.
    (c) If the Optus is away unexpectedly and they do not have a Bracus, the Valus and Archon may jointly designate a Bracus Pro Tempore.

[5] Standards

[5.1] Legality of Proposals

(a) For a proposal to legally be voted on, it must meet the standards in section [4].
    (b) Following a successful Motion to Vote, the Optus must assess if a proposal meets standards.
    (c) If the Optus does not feel a proposal meets standards, they may declare the Motion to Vote illegitimate.
     i. On declaring a Motion to Vote illegitimate the Optus must clearly state where the proposal fails to meet standards.
     ii. The Optus is the sole arbiter of proposal standards.

[5.2] General Standards

(a) All proposals will have the official name of the proposal in bold as the first line, followed by a line break.
    (b) The first clause of every proposal must declare the official name of the resolution, law, or amendment, and may include a second short title.
    (c) All proposals must have at least two (2) clauses.
    (d) Proposals must be written in English, and have correct spelling and proper grammar.
    (e) Treaties do not need to meet these standards.
    (f) Numbers shall be written out in normal typeface, followed by the same number in Arabic numerals within a set of round brackets.  The brackets and Arabic numerals will be in italics.
     i. Section and subsection numbers do not follow this convention.

[5.3] Law Proposals

(a) Law proposals consist of sections, subsections, clauses, subclauses, and comments.
     i. Only sections and clauses are required for a law proposal to be legal.
     ii. Sections, subsections, and comments are to be used for ease or reading a proposal.
     iii. Clauses and subclauses are the only parts of a proposal that will be legally binding when the proposal passes.
    (b) Sections are numbered numerically and must have a title  The combination of the number and title will be called the "section header".
     i. The number is written in square brackets.
     ii. The section title is written after the section number, divided by one (1) space.
     iii. The section header must be written in bold.
     iv. The section header must have a line break before and after it.
    (c) Subsections are numbered numerically, and must have a title.  The combination of the number and title will be called the "subsection header"
     i. All subsections must be a part of a section.
     ii. The section and subsection numbers are written within a single set of square brackets, divided by a period.
     iii. The subsection title is written after the number, divided by a single space.
     iv. The subsection header must be written in bold.
    (d) Clauses are given an alphabetical designation, starting from "a" and continuing alphabetically.
     i. Alphabetical designations are reset to "a" at the beginning of every new section and subsection.
     ii. Clauses must be part of a section or subsection.
     iii. The clause designation will be written in brackets, with the brackets and designation being bold.
     iv. The text of the clause will be written in normal typeface, however may use bold, italics, and underlining for emphasis.
    (e) Subclauses are numbered numerically in roman numerals.
     i. Numerical designations are reset to "i" with each new clause.
     ii. All subclauses must be a part of a clause.
     iii. The clause designation will be indented, in normal typeface, and followed by a period.
     iv. The text of the subclause will be written in normal typeface, however may use bold, italics, and underlining for emphasis.
    (f) Comments may follow the proposal name, sections, and subsections.
     i. Comments will be written in normal typeface, and be followed by a line break.
     ii. If a section or subsection header follows a clause, the line break

[5.4] Amendment Proposals

(a) Amendment proposals will follow the same general formatting as law proposals.
    (b) Where multiple laws are being amended there may not be more than one law amended in each subsection.
    (c) Amendment proposals must clearly reference the law being amended, and what changes are being made.  
    (d) Amendments being made within law proposals must still adhere to this subsection.

[5.5] Resolution Proposals

(a) Resolution proposals consist of clauses and comments.
    (b) Resolution clauses will be designated numerically, written within square brackets and bold.
    (c) Resolution comments are written after the proposal name and between clauses.  They may contain their own headers, sections, and lists.
     i. Resolutions comments must contain the reason the resolution is being made, and be written from the perspective of the Assembly of Elysiana.
    (d) The final clause of a resolution should be a binding statement or decision of the Assembly.

[5.6] Repeal Proposals

(a) Repeal proposals will follow the format of a resolution proposal, with the final clause clearly stating the law being repealed.
     i. A repeal proposal may repeal multiple laws.
    (b) A law proposal may include a repeal, in which case the repeal shall be a single clause.

Last edited by Caleth on Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Caleth
    Caleth
    Admin

Rule of Procedure  Empty Re: Rule of Procedure

Post by Caleth Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:53 pm

Changed "short titled" in [1](a) to "or".

Added space between "The" and "Optus" in [2.1](b)

Changed "a minimum" to "for a minimum" in [2.2](d)

Fixed a few spelling inconsistencies of the spelling "Bracus"

Added a few line breaks.

Made how numbers are written more consistent.

Added [5.2](f).
    Caleth
    Caleth
    Admin

Post by Caleth Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:48 pm

Added [2.3](d) and relabelled subsequent clauses in section [2.3] accordingly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:51 am